Hi folks! Wondering what monsters you’ll meet in Cassette Beasts? I’m here to reveal the first six!
Please meet our first Plastic-type monster, Traffikrab!
For decades, plastic traffic cones have been washing up on the shores of New Wirral, which doesn’t have much actual traffic itself! Nature was quick to take advantage of this plastic waste. However, I don’t think I could tell you what the ‘krabs look like without the cone.
Traffikrabs can be found on beaches, and near the Cast Iron Shore.
Traffikrab’s signature move is Traffic Jam, which reduces the speed of all the other fighters in the battle.
Traffikrab is also known to possess:
- Undertow: target’s priority and turn order are reversed.
- Inflame: a weak, ranged Fire-type attack.
- Water Coating: changes the target’s type to Water.
Dandylions are loyal, defensive guardians. They’re typically found standing at the entrances to important caves in the grassy plains of New Wirral. If you find one with no cave nearby, it may be a hint that something is hidden!
Dandylion’s signature move is Cotton-On, a move that guarantees the next attack to target it will miss.
Dandylion is also known to possess:
- Elemental Wall: creates a wall of the user’s type, which will block a certain number of incoming hits.
- More information about how walls work in Cassette Beasts will be shared at a later date.
- Doc Leaf: gives the target Healing status.
- Snooze Spore: puts the target to sleep.
- More information about how sleep works in Cassette Beasts will be shared at a later date.
Masquerattle is a real mean creature. With its high speed and highly offensive learnset, it’s definitely not something you want to accidentally tread on.
Masquerattle’s signature move is Hydra, a move that raises the user’s Melee Attack every time it takes damage.
Masquerattle is also known to possess:
- Action Steal: reduces the target’s AP by one, and raises the user’s by one.
- Revenge Strike: a passive, weak attack that has a small chance to automatically be used whenever the owner takes damage.
- Parry Stance: reflects damage received that turn.
Pombomb is a lovable, but dumb beast. Some residents of Harbourtown used to keep them as pets, but their tendency to cause fires means most are now unfortunately feral.
Pombomb’s signature move is Dog Years, which doubles the remaining duration of the status effects on the target.
Pombomb is also known to possess:
- Hot Potato: plants a bomb on the target that will explode at the end of their next turn, if it is not passed on by a melee attack.
- Sure-Fire: gives the target Locked On status, which guarantees their next attack will hit, regardless of accuracy and evasion.
- Zoomies: a weak Beast-type melee attack with priority (i.e. it always goes first, before all other moves that don’t have priority, regardless of each fighter’s Speed stat).
Springheel gets its name from its surprising resemblance to Victorian London reports of Spring-heeled Jack. Springheel is an imp-like creature that hunts by shocking its prey into fainting. It can be found behind trees, large rocks, and inside your closet at night.
Springheel’s signature move is Jump Scare, an attack that has a 50% chance to cause its target to flinch.
Springheel is also known to possess:
- Deja Vu: gives the user Multistrike status. With this status, each move the user selects gets used twice if there is enough AP for it.
- Bish Bash Bosh: a medium-strength typeless attack that hits the entire opposing team.
- Dodge: raises the user’s Evasion stat.
Do you ever wonder what happens to the tardigrades that survive their journeys through space? After re-hydration they get bigger, stronger, and marginally more intelligent. Meet Stardigrade, master of both meditation and hibernation.
Stardigrade’s signature move is Hibernate, a move that puts the user to sleep and heals 25% of its maximum HP every turn that it’s asleep.
Stardigrade is also known to possess:
- Meditate: a move that puts the user to sleep and increases all its attack and defense stats every turn that it’s asleep.
- Mind-Meld: provides the user’s ally with access to all the moves the user has (except for Mind-Meld).
- Spear of Longinus: a medium-power Astral-type ranged attack that cannot be evaded.
That’s all for today! We’ll be posting more about the monsters in Cassette Beasts in due time… Let us know what you think in the comments, and please share this post if you like it! 🙏